Browsing on Tumblr can be a lot of fun. You will probably come across many funny GIFs and fail videos that will make you laugh all day long. The only problem with the Tumblr app is that you can’t take it with you to places where Wi-Fi is not available, or your data plan is limited.
GIFs can be bearable since they’re short and compressed to the lowest size possible. But as for videos, this can be a headache for people who doesn’t have unlimited cellular data on the go.
In this tutorial, I’ll present you with different methods you can use to download Tumblr videos to your iPhone for offline viewing. Think of a situation where you’re stuck on a long car ride with nothing to do. Going through your endless Camera Roll videos would be fun right?
Tyblr is a free application from the App Store that allows you to browse through Tumblr and download any videos from there straight to your Camera Roll.
Not to mention, it can also save pictures. Tyblr will present you with two different feeds. One called Photo and the other one called Video. You can switch back and forth whenever you want.
To download a video or photo from Tumblr:
- Open the Tyblr app
- Login using your Tumblr account
- Scroll through your feed. Under each post there will be a “Save” button on the bottom right hand corner
- Tap on it and it will start downloading that selected post (be it a photo or video)
- The media file will be transfer directly to your Camera Roll
To check if it’s working properly, open your Photos app and you should see the video or photo you downloaded from Tumblr.
Assuming that you have a jailbroken device, there is a jailbreak tweak called Dwnldr that allows you to save any videos from Tumblr directly to your Camera Roll. You don’t even have to go through any third-party apps from the App Store.
How to Download Tumblr Videos using Dwnldr
- Open up Cydia and wait for it to reload all the repository and packages
- Go to the BigBoss repo and look for Dwnldr. You can also use the Search function to find it
- This is a paid Cydia tweak and so you must buy it for the Install option to be visible
- Once you purchased the package, tap on Install and Restart Springboard
After you go through the installation process, just open the official Tumblr app right away since there are no options to configure. Look for your favorite video, tap and hold on to it.
A popup will appear asking whether you want to save the clip to the Camera Roll of your iPhone or Dwnldr Video Vault.
When choosing Camera Roll, you can quickly grab the video and upload it to other sites. The vault is there to help you store your videos inside the Tumblr app.
And that is how you can quickly download Tumblr videos onto your iPhone or iPad without third-party App Store apps.
If you prefer to do everything from your computer, DreDown is the best option. In addition, this site also provides other video downloaders for some of the most popular sources such as YouTube, Facebook, and Soundcloud.
The process is quite easy, and you can follow the steps below.
- Go on Tumblr and find the video you want to download
- Copy its URL and paste it here
- Once you obtain the video file (MP4 format), use iTunes or similar tool to import it into your iPhone