The YouTube app on our iOS device opens up endless possibilities for entertainment. Whether you’re streaming your favorite YouTuber or listening to your beloved musician, YouTube provides it all in one app.
However, free entertainment comes with various limitations. Most of you know that you can’t download any videos from YouTube to your iPhone. Not to mention, as soon as you leave the app, your current playing video stopped streaming in the background.
As a result of these restrictions, everyone is always on the look out for some solutions. Usually, to unlock the full potential of the YouTube app, iPhone users would need to jailbreak their iOS device. However, things have changed. Now you can do it regardless the status of your iPhone.
YouTube++ is a modified version of the official YouTube app for iPhone that allows you to save any videos or songs to your iOS device for offline viewing. This lifted a heavy burden on your mobile data. Furthermore, it also enables background playback so that you can listen to music on YouTube while using other applications.
Here are some notable features that I really like:
- Uninterrupted music even if you close the YouTube app (background playback)
- Ad-free (Never see ads again)
- Download videos and save them directly to your Camera Roll
How to Download and Install YouTube++ on iOS 10
- First thing you need is the YouTube++ IPA file. You can download it from here
- Get the latest version of Cydia Impactor via this post. The tool is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux
- If you still have the official YouTube app, delete it
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to the computer
- Launch Cydia Impactor
- Find the IPA file from Step 1 > Drag & Drop it to Impactor
- You will be asked to enter your Apple ID and password
- Cydia Impactor will begin installing the app
As soon as it’s done, do not open the new YouTube app yet. Either way, you won’t be able to until you tell your iOS device to trust it. Open your Settings app, go to General > Profile or Device Management > Tap on the email you entered earlier and tap Trust.
Now you can open the YouTube++ app on your home screen. This one works just like the official YouTube app for iPhone. The only difference is that you will find a new tab called Downloads. You will also come across more premium features as you start using the app.
If you have any trouble while using Cydia Impactor, please refer to this for all the troubleshooting tips.
Option 2: Download YouTube Videos to iOS and Convert to MP3
Without a doubt, the tutorial above is the best method as it doesn’t require users to have a jailbroken device. However, when you install any apps through Cydia Impactor using your free Apple account, the app will only work for seven days. After that, you need to re-follow the same instructions above to get it running again.
I found another app, which you can install right from the App Store. It’s called Documents 6. If all you need is an app that lets you download videos from YouTube to your iPhone, this is the perfect app to use.
It’s important to know that unlike YouTube++, Documents 6 won’t be able to add any additional features to your YouTube app.
How to Download YouTube Videos using Documents 6
- Go on your App Store and install the app (it’s free) or click here
- Using your Safari app, go on two different websites: m.youtube.com and savefrom.net
- Search for any videos you like to download and copy the URL
- Switch to the other tab (savefrom.net) and paste that link
- Now choose Audio MP4, and you will get a unique googlevideo link
- Copy and paste that to the browser in your Document 6 app
- The app will pick it up and start downloading
Since we’re doing this on an iOS device that isn’t jailbroken, it will take several steps.
So far so good? You can stop at this point if you want to. But keep in mind that the video will be downloaded in MP4 format. In other words, these are videos, and if you lock your iPhone, the music will stop playing as well. This takes us to another set of instructions.
How to Convert YouTube Videos to MP3 without Jailbreak
- Download MyMP3 for your iPhone or iPad (from the App Store)
- Go back to Documents 6 > Downloads folder > Select Edit
- Choose an MP4 file that you downloaded earlier and tap on More > Open In > MyMP3
Once you’re redirected over to the other app, it will show you the converted file. This one is now available as a music file, which means you can play it in the background if you like.
And that’s it. If you are looking for a way to turn YouTube videos into ringtones, check out this tutorial.