If you love to connect with your friends and family using FaceTime you are going to love the fact that Apple recently made Group FaceTime available in the iOS 12.1 update.
Now you can video chat with more than one of your favorite people over FaceTime at once. In fact, you can simultaneously video chat with up to 32 people using the new Group FaceTime feature.
The user interface is seamless and makes it very easy to follow the group conversation. With automatic detection of the person speaking, FaceTime highlights whoever is currently talking by bringing them to the main area of the screen. The most active talkers will appear larger than anyone who is just hanging out listening. If you want to focus on a particular person you can do so with a quick tap and they will appear front and center for you.
There are 2 simple ways to place a group FaceTime call. Just make sure you are on iOS update 12.1 or this won’t work.
- Make a group FaceTime call using FaceTime
- Make a group FaceTime call using Messages
Here are the steps to make a group FaceTime call with the FaceTime app:
- Open the FaceTime app on your iPhone or iPad device
- Tap the + button in the upper-right corner.
- Enter the name or number of a person you want to call.
- Enter up to 30 additional contacts.
- Tap Video or Audio to place your FaceTime call.
Using the FaceTime app to place a group FaceTime call is going to be the most familiar way for people who are already used to making FaceTime video calls.
Here are the steps to make a group FaceTime call using Messages:
- Open Messages on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on a group conversation or start a new one.
- Tap the avatars of the conversation participants in the top-center of the screen.
- Tap FaceTime.
I love this way of making a FaceTime call with a group of friends. If we are already in a group message together, it just makes sense for us to be able to quickly and easily hop on a group call together.
This new update is just one of the many useful features of iOS 12.