OnlineNotify is a paid jailbreak tweak from the BigBoss repository that tells you when a specific contact from WhatsApp comes online or went offline, and when that contact is typing.
By using this tweak, you can get all of this information via notifications center instead of always checking the app. Similar to Twitter’s turn on notifications or when someone is typing from Snapchat.
Get notifications inside and outside WhatsApp when chosen contacts become online and offline. (Works only for contacts you chose inside OnlineNotify registered users table) – Get notifications when any of your contacts start typing a message. (It works on all of your contacts and not just the chosen users).
Here are some of the features:
- Adds an online indicator next to online contacts in favorites list and group info.
- Replace contacts’ status text with their last seen in favorites list and group info.
- A Flipswitch included to enable/disable notifications directly from your control center
- Select on which WhatsApp version you wish to run users status tracking. (By doing that you won’t be seen as online on your main WhatsApp)
Get notified when someone is online on WhatsApp
- Enable notifications from settings
- Launch WhatsApp
- Visit the Settings tab > tap on OnlineNotify button, and assign users that you want to get notify when they’re online, offline, and is typing.
As noted by the developer, WhatsApp must always be running in the background, and Wi-Fi stays connected even if the device is locked (use Insomnia package) for this tweak to work properly.
If you want to download even more Cydia tweaks for WhatsApp, check out our collection here.
How to hide your Last Seen in WhatsApp
- Open WhatsApp app from your home screen
- Go to Settings > Account > Privacy
- From there you can turn off the feature
By default, WhatsApp Messenger will allow other users to view your last seen and know whether you’re online or offline. While it’s impossible to hide your WhatsApp online status, those who concern about their privacy can turn off the Last Seen functionality.
Keep in mind that if you don’t share your last seen, you are not allowed to see other contacts last seen either. For more information about your Privacy, please check out WhatsApp’s FAQ.
If you have an Android device
I received several comments from Android users asking if there is a way to tell if someone on their WhatsApp contacts goes online. Since I don’t have a Samsung Galaxy or an Android smartphone, I can’t give you an exact answer. However, after some basic research, I found others recommending an app called “WhatsMonitor for Whatsapp.”
This application is available from the Google Play Store, and you can download it for free from there. Upon activating, you will be able to “receive a notification every time your loved one is online.” Give it a try and let us know how it works for you.