I’m a daily user of the Mails app on my iOS device. Unlike Gmail or other dedicated email apps that only works with one single service, the stock Mails application on the iPhone allows you to connect with multiple mail servers such as iCloud, Outlook, Google, Yahoo!, AOL, and more.
Recently, it stopped working as usual. A weird error would constantly pop up that says something like:
Cannot Verify Server Identity
Mail cannot verify the identity of “mail.(URL)”. Would you like to continue anyway?
And the popup also contains the Cancel button, Details, and Continue. For firmware below iOS 10, when you tap on the Details button you will be able to Trust the certificate and go on with your day (Note: Please double check the domain and its validity before trusting).
However, users who upgraded to iOS 10 and higher have found it harder to fix the Server Identity verification issue on their Mails app.
Emails on iOS Showing Server Identity Error
To fix this problem in the Mails app, all you have to do is:
- Remove the email that’s giving the issue by going to Settings > Mails and then open the Accounts tab. Tap on the email you want to delete, find the ‘Delete Account’ option at the bottom and confirm your action.
- Hard Reset your iPhone by holding down both the Power and Home button for 10 seconds or until you see the Apple logo. Let go and wait for the device to boot up.
- Go to Settings > Mails and then open the ‘Accounts’ tab again, tap on ‘Add Account’ and then add the old email address that you deleted earlier.
- Turn off the device (pressing down the power button and use the Power Off slider) and turn it back on
This fixed the server identity error for me when viewing one of the emails I received in the Mails app. If that doesn’t work for you, here are a few more suggestions:
- Use the email’s dedicated app. For example, if it’s a Gmail account then download the Gmail app from the App Store
- Delete the server from your Outgoing Mail Server in the Settings app. Once you re-add the email it will show a popup for you to “Verify Server”.
- Update to the latest Apple firmware (Settings > General > Software Update).
This issue appear on the Safari browser, too!
Many of you came here because the “Cannot Verify Server Identity” is displaying on your Safari app instead of the Mails app. Both of these issues are similar, and they have the same error message.
For Safari it shows something like this:
The identity of “ph.yahoo.com” cannot be verified by Safari. Review the certificate details to continue.
To troubleshoot this:
- Tap ‘Cancel’ on the prompt and then go to Settings > Safari.
- Scroll all the way to the bottom and tap on ‘Clear History and Website Data’ and then confirm the next prompt.
- Restart your iPhone or iPad
And that should perform the trick. The next time you visit the same web page again, it shouldn’t show the server verification error.
If you still need help, watch the YouTube video below.