iTransmission 4 remain as one of the best torrent clients for iPhone and iPad until today. As you can see, there were many torrent clients for iOS and one of them even made it through the App Store approval process. Unfortunately, they all come and go like lighting.
uTorrent is a well-known name when it comes to downloading large files like video games or movies on PC and Android devices. They tried to submit an iOS version but was rejected by Apple. That led to us, users, relying upon jailbreak tweaks to download torrent apps.
What set iTransmission apart from its competitions is the fact that this app uses the same backend as the native BitTorrent client many people use on their Mac computers. Therefore, it’s secure, robust, and easy to use.
Not to mention, you can easily install iTransmission on your iPhone through a third-party site or side load it to your iOS. This tutorial will showcase both methods.
For those who have updated to the latest Apple firmware jump on board as well because no jailbreak is required.
How to Install iTransmission on iOS 9
Step 1: Open your Safari browser
Step 2: Go to the HeyPub page and tap on the Install button
Step 3: Confirm by pressing on the popup and wait
For jailbroken iPhone or iPad, all you have to do is go on Cydia > Search and type in the name of this torrent client. The tweak is available within the default repository so it should popup as a search result. Once you see it, choose Install and Respring.
The iTransmission app should now appear on your home screen. Opening the application will let you download torrents on your iOS device.
How to Sideload Torrent Client using Xcode
The above solution is easy, right? It nearly didn’t require anything at all except for your time. But this method is a bit tricky and will require you to have a Mac computer, Xcode installed, and some knowledge of the software.
- Open your Xcode and create a new project
- When asked for information about the project, just type in appropriate details
- You will now get an error that says, “No matching provisioning profiles found.” Just click Fix Issue and move on
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to the computer and select your device’s name in Xcode
- Head over to DanTheMan’s site and download iOS App Signer
- Under Input File, choose the iTransmission.deb and click Start
- You will now be given a .ipa file, go back to Xcode and go to Window > Devices
- In the Device information page, select the + icon and browse for the .ipa exported earlier
After the last step, iTransmission 4 should be installed on your iPhone now. Unlock the device and tap on the app’s icon. Uh oh, you’re getting an error? We wrote a tutorial on how to fix the Untrusted developer issue last week. So check it out.