When there is a new app update from the App Store, you should feel excited.
This usually means one of your application is getting new features, improved changes, or fewer bugs.
But there can also be a different outcome!
Sometimes, the developer didn’t check their app entirely before rolling out the new version. Therefore, users will get even more problems or things just don’t work right.
Another common issue is…
What if the new update isn’t Jailbreak-friendly?
Damn, just like how PayPal, Pokemon Go, and the new YouTube app did!
Introducing App Admin
App Admin is a new jailbreak tweak released by UnlimApps that allows users to roll back a version or even older if the new update wasn’t what you expected.
Here is the best part: you don’t need iTunes or a computer to do this.
It can all happen right on your iPhone or iPad.
Why is this better?
Traditionally, to downgrade an iOS app, users will have to download multiple items.
- And the old .IPA
With AppAdmin, it’s all about doing it directly from the App Store.
How to Downgrade to Older Version of iOS Apps
- Go on Cydia > Source > Edit
- Add the following repository: http://beta.unlimapps.com/
- Install App Admin and Respring
- Go to the App Store and pick an application that you want to downgrade
- When you tap on the Download button, a prompt will display asking if you want to get the latest version or Downgrade
- Choose Downgrade. App Admin will suggest several known versions
If the none of the listed versions satisfy you, then we have more work to do.
There is a built-in feature in App Admin that allows you to choose a particular version you want to install manually, even if it’s not available from the Known Versions.
We wrote a separate article on how to find the external version identifier, but you can follow along below.
- Go back to Cydia and Install iFile
- Open iFile and go to /User/Containers/Bundle/Application/* and open the app’s iTunesMetadata.plist
- Find the version number you like and copy it. Then go back to the popup from the App Store and paste it there
In the future, UnlimApps team is looking to add more features into App Admin so that iOS developers can point a specific version through URL and block auto-update.
With this Cydia tweak, you can finally downgrade your iOS app and keep the features that you’ve been so attached to.